Monday, April 28, 2014

Restaurant Review: Wildebeest Cafe in Falmouth, Cornwall

Vegan cafes/restaurants are hard to come by. Sure, there are plenty of vegetarian restaurants that have a few vegan options, but there aren't many totally vegan ones. So imagine my excitement when I heard that a brand new vegan cafe was opening not far from me!
 
Wildebeest is a new cafe/bar in Falmouth, Cornwall. They are open all day for breakfast, coffee and cake, lunch and dinner. The food takes inspiration from all over the world, and local produce is used where possible. Wildebeest also sell a selection of vegan beers, wines and cocktails. I couldn't wait to visit, so when my friends and I were deciding where to go for our next meal out, I suggested the Wildebeest. Although my friends aren't vegan or vegetarian, they are open to trying different foods and were just as excited as I was to go there!
 
 
 
The cafe is small but cosy. The menu is written on a big blackboard on the wall. What I love about Wildebeest's menu is that it changes regularly; it is nice to be able to have different options to choose from every time you visit a restaurant. Here was the menu on the night we visited:
 
 
I decided to try the gnocchi. I'd never tried it before and I wasn't disappointed. The pesto was so creamy and delicious - absolutely bursting with flavour. The cashew parmesan was really tasty too.
 
 
Both my friends went for the Mex Mix (minus the cashew cheese). Chloe has a nut allergy and Zoe is coeliac, so after discussing their dietary requirements with the lovely waitress, they were advised on which dishes would be suitable for them. It felt a little strange that for once I did not have to mention my requirements to the staff!
 
 
We all thoroughly enjoyed our main courses, which were really filling. But no matter how full you are there's always room for dessert, right? Zoe had the raw raspberry cheesecake with coconut whipped cream, Chloe had the lemon and blueberry cupcake and I had the chocolate brownie (warmed!) with a scoop of homemade chocolate ice cream. We all loved our desserts, and I can safely say (after sampling all three dishes!) that they were among the best vegan desserts I've had. I hope the raspberry cheesecake is available next time I go to Wildebeest as I wouldn't mind having a large slice of it!
 
 


I really enjoyed dining at the Wildebeest. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced, and the staff were really friendly and knowledgeable. The cafe was fully booked the night we went, and I've heard it's always really busy. I think it's a hit with both vegans and non-vegans alike! I can't wait to go back :)
 
post signature




No comments:

Post a Comment